Friday, July 19, 2013

Friday Photos!

My last Friday Photos post included some pics taken from the overlook at the Liberty Memorial.
If you remember, it was snowy. And very, very cold. 
Well, yesterday was into the high 90s with loads of humidity, typical of July.
So it was only fair to get a few summer shots!

I arrived early in the evening and only planned to shoot for a few minutes, and do a little thinking.
Catharsis.
But as the evening wore on and the sun began to fall, I couldn't pull myself from the quiet and peace above the city.
So I lingered.
For hours.
I watched children play;
Enjoyed pleasant conversation with strangers.
Observed a very-in-love couple kissing...a lot (Ick);
And a very distressed (and loud) couple breaking up (Oy).
I tried to leave several times.
But with the beautiful views in every direction, each time I walked away there was something that drew me back in.
It was well after the sun went down before I ventured home.

And I'm pretty sure that if I could sit in a yoga pose and get over my fear of heights,
I could have sat on the wall and meditated All.Night.Long.
Until I fell asleep. And dropped to my death.

Here are a handful of shots from the night.

____________________________________________________

This is just your standard view. Decidedly more awesome in real life.



Tricky angles this time, and by tricky, I mean only one.
Because there is construction and only a small portion of the overlook that you can even access.


So... these are the mosaic walls. I love these walls. 
Notice the girl in the background? 
She was looking through a little keyhole in the door to the Memory Hall.
Perfect. : )



She was also there playing with her siblings and cousins. 
They were a little confused about why I would want to take pictures of the wall. 
They thought I should be taking pictures of them. 
So I did.
Totally natural posers.


And now, the Western Auto building.
For some reason I am in love with this building. 
Irrationally in love.


And the Liberty Memorial
Construction to the left.
And a pink sunset behind me that you can see bouncing off every surface. 


After this, I just sat and watched everything around me as the sun went down
and the colors changed from every angle. No pics.

And then I headed to my car. And turned around one last time to take a look. 
That's when I saw the Western Auto sign illuminating for the night.
Naturally, I went back.
Again.

I was there for another hour.

..............

Kissing couple on the left. Fighting couple on the right.
And don't miss the man sporting the very fashionable black socks and dress shoes...
With shorts.
A summertime favorite.


And this. 



And the full view.


And slightly fuller view.




I love this city.
And I love this place.
This was my first time at the Memorial at night.

I may move there.

Happy Friday!



1 comment:

  1. I love the picture of the kids. It's like you had someone on wardrobe for them to match each other and subtleties in the tiles. I like the night shot panorama, as well. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...