Saturday, October 13, 2012

Today's Rainy Run

Today I needed to run. But I woke up to the threat of rain. And swiftly decided to go back to sleep. This worked for about eight and a half minutes. Until I remembered that the rain was only supposed to get more threatening as the day wore on. Which kind of woke my brain up. And by, kind of woke my brain up, I really mean, started a sudden rush of thoughts, ideas, and pressures all swirling into one powerful vortical flow that I Could. Not. Quiet.

So I dragged myself out of bed...

and procrastinated....
and procrastinated...
and procrastinated.

For two more hours.

I walked the dog. I answered emails. I Facebook stalked. I did laundry. I played Words With Friends.  Anything to avoid running. But the day was wearing on and I desperately needed a shower. Which meant I needed to exercise first. So I checked the weather one more time in an effort to answer the burning "to run, or not to run" question.

As luck would have it, there was only a 30% chance of rain right then. And a 70% chance of rain and thunderstorms later. If I was going to make it any further than the mailbox and back before getting struck by lightning I needed to stop procrastinating and get out the door. Now.

Or...
I could lift weights instead.
Or... 
I could do a short run and then lift weights.
Or... 
I could go back to bed.

I thought this through carefully. For another thirty minutes. Mentally examining every running route option. And every weights option. And every sleeping option. None of which included the gym. Because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even let me in the gym without that shower.

So I finally settled on a plan for a 30-minute outside run and then a workout video in the privacy of my own little apartment. I laced up my running shoes, threw on a safe-for-running-in-the-rain-and-not-looking-obscene tech tee, and hit the door running.
Just as the rain started.
Then got harder. Rapidly.
With a healthy side of wind.
And distant thunder.

But I had made up my mind and was not about turn back.

It took about one and a half blocks of pelting rain to feel a wide smile cross my face with the sudden recollection that...

I LOVE RUNNING IN THE RAIN!!!

I mentally rerouted and opted for a longer run and no weights.

Another two blocks and I could see large water droplets hanging precariously on the edge of my eyelashes. And three blocks later I began to feel the rain wash sweat into the corners of my mouth. I love this for some reason. Weird, I know.

Enter...

*Happy, energetic, mid-run sigh*

I'm not gonna lie. I find moments like these to be invigorating and empowering. And I kind of like to think in my mind that I am hard core. I also like to think in my mind that the passing cars think so, too. (I doubt this is true. They probably really think that I'm just not-so-bright as your average blond.)

I was running pretty hard and pretty happy by now and was pretty tuned into my music. Until I rounded the bend and entered the tree-lined running trail...just as there was a break between songs.

And all I could hear was the rain in the trees.

I stopped cold.
I pulled out the earplugs.
I turned off the iPod.
I stood still and quiet.
I closed my eyes.
And I listened.

What I heard was not a sound. It was a memory. A memory from when I was young and would venture into the acres of forest behind our Washington State home for lengthy walks in the rain. These were days long before headphones or iPods or tech tees. Simpler, safer times. Times of me, self-discovery, deep thinking, heavy feeling, and rain tip-tip-tapping in the trees, spilling over leaves and bough to the forest floor below.

For the next three miles I ran completely unplugged. And deeply lost in the sound of sweet, sweet memories.



*Dreamy Sigh*




*And another Dreamy Sigh*



This part of my run was over too quickly. I wish I could have remained for ten more miles. Or ten more days.

Rounding the corner back up onto the sidewalk of the busy, wet street, was a shocking jolt to reality as I powered up a long, slow hill and back to my apartment. Once again tuned into my music.

It turns out that the weather men got it backwards today (surprise!) and I inadvertently chose the rainiest time of today to run. I had to wring the bottom of my safe-for-running-in-the-rain-and-not-looking-obscene tech tee out three times before I finished. I don't know how many days it will take for my shoes to dry. And ironically, the rain stopped shortly after my run stopped.

But that's okay. Because long before I made it home I realized that for today's rainy run I was not hard core. Nor was I not-so-bright.

I was simply blessed.


3 comments:

  1. Running and "singing" in the rain. Perfect! It all turned out just right. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounded more like running and "sighing" in the rain...made me want to run in the rain too!! We had an all-day torrential rainstorm yesterday with very high winds so I am glad I didn't read your blog until today...I would have been tempted!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...