Friday, February 18, 2011

Cold Play

As most of the Continental US knows, we've been having just a touch of inclement weather here in the Midwest. It's February, which to me usually means ALMOST March - the one month that can never come quickly enough! But yesterday's storm blew in with enough force to cancel school (again!) and leave my husband to work from home (again!).  I'm not a cold weather girl and do not enjoy building snowmen, or making snow angels, or shoveling snow. I do not play in the snow. So when decadent dreams of 70.. or 80... or 90 degree days give way to wind chills of -6, what's a warm weather girl to do? Grab the camera, of course! 

It started when I woke up and saw frost on a few of our windows. Window people would tell us it's time to get the windows replaced (yes, I know this), but I say it's an opportunity for some really fun frosty shots. :-)




I decided I like photography as a cold weather activity when I get to stay inside all bundled up. But alas, George eventually had to get to shoveling the drive, and as soon as he walked out the door he was calling me to put on shoes and a coat and get outside...now! I did not like this idea at all - until he asked me to grab the camera - not the shovel. And this is what I found.

Above is the view from our front door. That hazy stuff is not blur. It is blowing snow.

This is snow build up right outside our garage door.

Check out this crazy little drift on top of Danica's car!

And our front door - in case you were wondering. ; )

I seriously only lasted about 5 minutes before my fingers were the kind of numb that makes you think it would be less painful to just have them fall off, and my coat and hair were filled with little frosty flakes, not to mention the wet camera. So, I happily went inside to read about "bokeh" (photographic blur) while George shoveled our drive, our sidewalk, our street entrance, the neighbor's drive, the other neighbor's drive, and both of their sidewalks as well. He likes to shovel and we all like that about him. :-)



And while there was no hot chocolate yesterday, there was...SNOW ICE CREAM!! = )


I like this kind of cold play.

2 comments:

  1. Love that you're blogging now. :) And your pics are beautiful... I especially love the red door in the snow... such a great perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The delicate frost on the window and red door/white snow are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...