Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A Summer Heart

Today I wanted to write a really brilliant post.
Something inspiring. Or clever and smart. Or wildly funny and entertaining.

But I'm not gonna lie. This week has been cold...

...wear-your-scarf-and-puffy-coat-inside cold,
...hot-chocolate-doesn't-make-it-any-better cold,
...brain-freeze cold.

And since my brain is frozen, all I can think about is summer.

Mmm, summer...

...step-outside-and-sweat summer,
...humidity-you-can-practically-eat summer,
...throw-and-go-hair-days summer.

Summer.

For as long as I can remember, my heart has belonged to summer.

I love the heat, the sun, and the carefree days at the pool.
I love late, sultry walks with fireflies, and midnight drives with the top laid back.
I love the strong, incessant buzz of the cicada, and the throaty growl of the frog.
I love sweaty runs, and cool, crisp watermelon. In that order.

I just love all that summer has to offer! 

But the transition between seasons always leaves me contemplative.
Watching the leaves gradually turn, shake loose, and wistfully settle to the ground,
Feeling the winds change and the earth freeze beneath my feet,
I can't help but wonder...

Just which season of life I am in? 

The hair is graying, the skin is wrinkling, and the body is realizing limitations the mind refuses to accept.
The kids are leaving, the once impossible schedule is relenting, and the balance of life is shifting.

Everything tells me my summer is winding down.

Everything except for my heart.

I have a heart that fights and fights for summer.
For a summer where the mind is clear and the body is strong;
For long, warm days that linger deep into the late years of my life.
For an "Indian Summer" of my own.

But buried within I know my summer will one day give way to autumn, then ultimately to winter.
And when it does I hope to have gained an appreciation for the wonders of those seasons;
A recognition of the peace and wisdom that comes from knowledge of seasons past,
And a profound understanding of the glorious spring that will follow.

But mostly I hope to find a place where all the seasons of my life can fit seamlessly with my 
Forever Summer Heart.





4 comments:

  1. I love summer, too! I wish it could always be summer especially on weeks like this when we have freezing cold temps (-7 degrees F) and I love HOT weather and ice cream, and baseball and boating...and having my kids home, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a deep, contemplative thinker you are! And I am just thinking that the older I get the more I don't like being too hot or too cold! I'll think about the whole seasons thing another day (or season).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write beautifully, Kamian! Your posts always make me stop and think. Also, do you like how I called you Kamian? I am getting really good at that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I know you are being very contemplative and amazingly deep in this post, but I just can't help thinking that we need to plan our Spring trip now. How about Cozumel? The beaches were beautiful there. And I think it would be fun and entertaining. That's all. I'll look into flights when I get home... but for now I'm finishing up the last bit of my trip. Heading for Tampa tonight (arrive tomorrow morning) and then a long flight home tomorrow. It'll be nice to be home from our trip, but I seriously need to learn how to relax and enjoy vacations a lot faster (it took me 4-5 days to finally relax and enjoy this time, ARGH!) ;-) Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...