Monday, May 28, 2012

Remembering

Memorial Day.

A federal holiday set aside to remember and honor those who died while serving in the Armed Forces.

In commemoration of this day there is one particularly stunning display near where I live.
American flags, 2,000 strong, waving in the breeze, beautifully visible from the highway.
Colorful, proud, and in every way brave.
A majestic memorial to those who died that we might live free.
And in every way I am grateful.



Over the years this holiday has come to mean more than just remembering those who have served in the Armed Forces.
Now we also honor loved ones.
Those who simply served.

So today I am remembering my mom.
And thinking of the times I have wished for her over the past many months.
The conversations I have needed, the advice I would seek for, the tears I would share with.
She carefully taught those who surrounded her...how to surround others.
For that, I have not been alone.


She loved God, family, and country, and helped me understand that freedom isn't free.
And in every way, I am grateful.

Remember.


Happy Memorial Day and welcome to summer.






5 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute, Kamian. True, you are never really alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautifully done! Thanks for the lovely photos and meaningful thoughts. And I miss Mom, as well. We have much to be grateful for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love your writing!! Wow, what a cool display! I don't remember that from home; is it a new tradition or has it just been THAT long since I've been home!

    I am sorry for the loss of your mother; I remember when it happened, and I can't imagine what you must go through every time you have the fleeting thought of, "I should call and tell my mom!" or, "Who will I call instead?" I'm really so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos Kam!! I love seeing a grassy area filled with American flags. Something about it just takes my breath away. Sounds like things are a little stressful in your life right now - mine too - but just remember the quote, "When life gives you more than you can stand ... KNEEL. I think of that nearly every day. I am sure your mom is listening and helping to give you guidance like a still small voice. Hope you are okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos! And I love the tribute to our servicemen and your wonderful mother. I know it's been hard for you to go through the things you have lately without your mom's advice and support. I'm here for you any time you want to text or call!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...