Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Giving Tree - Firefly Forest Part 4

Links to Firefly Forest Parts One, Two and Three are below. Check 'em out!

_____________________________________________

Many of us are familiar with the children's book by Shel Silverstein named, "The Giving Tree". 
Some think it's wonderful, some think it's not so great. 
And there seem to be many differing views concerning hidden meaning. 
Heavy burdens for a children's book. 

I'll be quite frank in speaking that this has never been my favorite read. 
Because I always feel a little sad for the tree. 
As a child I didn't understand how the tree could be really truly happy by giving all of its leaves, fruit, branches, trunk, and pretty much everything for someone else's pleasure. 
But as an adult, with children of my own, I have come to understand this principle a little better. 

Often we find happiness, rest, relief and satisfaction in the receiving. 
But it is in the selflessly giving that we find 
JOY

So imagine my delight when on my next visit to Firefly Forest I came upon this...


A Giving Tree.

The little door in this hollow is different from the others. 
It is off the path, tucked away and quiet. 
And nothing about it seeks attention. 
In fact,  if you are not observant you will miss it. 
But if you are, and instead look closely, what you will behold is marvelous! 
And so very beautiful. 

Look at the intricate detail on the door. 
From the hinge, 
to the etching, 
to the door knob. 




It's just special. 

Open the door and you'll find this...


A little cigar box mirroring the outside. 
With an important message on the inside. 


Take something. Leave something. 

Four simple words to describe one of the greatest principles of living. 

On this day I watched as one group of young visitor's took small pebbles and left a lollipop. 
And I watched as the next little one took that same lollipop and left a hair ribbon. 
On another day I took my own grandson and watched as he left a toy car and took a little toy elephant. 
I wish I had videotaped his excitement! 
He hugged that elephant tight and squealed, "I LOVE IT!!!" 
And a beautiful memory was born.


It just makes you feel good inside, don't you think?

So give it a minute to simmer...
and sink into your heart.

Take something. Leave something. 

An idea so lovely that it naturally begs the question...
What will you take? 
What will you leave?

And in honestly answering we learn of ourselves. 

The Giving Tree



Firefly Forest Part Five Coming Soon 
(Yes! There's more!!)

1 comment:

  1. An experience meant for bedtime stories...I imagine watching these memories and wish I had them for my own children. Wondering how to create something similar in my world. Wanting to see them for myself. How nice.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...