Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Spider Proof!



Warning: 

This post contains graphic images and is not intended for the faint of heart. 
Please proceed at your own risk. 
You may want a throw-up bucket nearby. I'm just sayin'...



Last week I went to camp. I learned that mobile blogging probably works. But me and my good intentions probably don't. At least while camping. So now I get to catch you up on stuff this week instead.

If you remember, just before going to camp I posted about the spiders that are the size of small hamsters. In case you thought I was exaggerating, which I never do, I brought you photographic evidence. Proof.

Here is photo one:


Okay. Is there anything about this spider that does not shout, "ICK!!"? I think not! 

Here is photo two. Some Brave Soul threw a Sharpie beside it so you could get an idea of relative size. 
I was not that brave soul:


See that white dot on its head? Yes, that is one of its MANY beady, creepy, unpredictable, 
and conniving little eyes reflecting the camera flash. 

And because of odd angles in a closet space you can't completely tell the size. 
So here is one last pic:


I am certain there is distortion in this shot and that this spider is actually much larger than it looks. 
Much, much larger. 
Really, really certain.

I am also certain that it could actually take a hefty chunk out of my leg in my sleep.
Which explains exactly why I sleep in my van.

(What you can't tell is that the abdomen of this spider is the size of the Sharpie cap. I was not about to pose the spider to make this point.)

We found it in a supply closet in our cabin as we were cleaning on the last day of camp.
Same Some Brave Soul caught this spider and released it into the wild. I did not hang around to watch this.

Ick, Ick, Ick, Ick, ICK!!

Okay. You can put away the throw-up bucket now.

So, also at camp we had this awesome castle that the girls could write down acts of service performed for them on paper "bricks" to cover the castle walls. It was a great way to remind the girls about the importance of "doing for others" and was a stunning visual of how many took this reminder to heart.

This is how it looked on the last day of camp.


Isn't that amazing?
There were all kinds of wonderful things recorded that one girl had done for another.

Things like:

"Made my bed"
"Gave me a piggy back ride"
"Spoke kind words"
"Carried injured Princess"
"Helped me feel included"

All kinds of important, kind, and thoughtful acts of service.


But there were others that really caught my eye. 

I took pics to share.






What acts of service could possibly be more thoughtful, kind, brave, 
and full of selfless love than those involved in squooshing gigantic spiders? 
I think none!

Thank you, Oh, Brave Ones, for keeping our sleeping legs intact!

And there you have it. Proof. Proof that it's not just me. Or my cabin.

And that there is always, always reason to sleep in my van.



8 comments:

  1. haha that's awesome! Your blog makes me miss you like crazy!! :o) I'm sorry about the spiders--I would've been sleeping in the car, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I. Love. You. Period. The end.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to play the environmentalist here and ask the question which would you rather have, the creepy, crawling six legged pests or the eight legged arachnids that eat said creepy, crawling six legged pest? Just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha! Kamian, I found you:) You know, spiders can get in vans too? you should have seen the one we captured crawling out the window of your van on the last morning of camp. It was at least twice the size of the one you posted here. I think it had a red dot on it's belly......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kam, you are too clever and funny! Love this post! I believed you about the spiders (except the size of a small hamster part), but proof is always good. Can you make your next posting about your chocolate, how you kept it from melting, and the comfort it provided? Smiles to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, when you are blessed with 3 boys and participate in their summer camps for 15 years, they "usually" leave you alone. AND......... the best part is, women can't camp overnight with boys! but I still saw my share of spiders and creepy crawly things, like frogs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved your post Kamian. I want you to know. I killed 2 of those huge gross spiders. So glad you got a photo so I can show my hubby. The first one had itty bitty babies crawling all around her. It was under one of the girls' beds. I used Permanone to kill them. The babies died instantly, mom had to be squished with a broom handle - 3 times! Those crunch noises are the worst. 2nd spider was in the bathroom. I killed it with Windex. It slowed it down enough that then once again I could crunch a few times with the end of the broom. Had I been home - I would have given this task to Pat. Your van is looking better and better as a sleeping refuge.
    thanks for the proof, Lisa L.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...