Thursday, June 2, 2011

Bragging Session

Every once in awhile I have to do it.
I just can't help myself. I try not to. But the mother in me can't be stopped.
Every once in awhile I just have to brag on a child of mine.

Today is every once in awhile. 

This is Kid One. She coaches ballroom. And she is FIERCE

(Photo courtesy of Kid Middle)


On a recent trip I got to watch Kid One run a rehearsal for her High School Ballroom Team in preparation for their Spring Concert.

And let's just stop right here for a moment and dissect that last sentence...

Run a rehearsal
High School
Ballroom
Team
Preparation
Concert

Is there anything about the combination of these words that is not intimidating? I didn't think so! 

But at the rehearsal I watched this sentence in action and was amazed at the things that Kid One can do!
And I decided to share. So you can be amazed, too. : )

I'll start with picture teasers. Because everything is more fun with pictures!

Here is a rehearsal picture. I took it.

Here is a concert picture. I did not take it.

Okay. Now is a short list of what Kid One does to put together a 1-hour, 21 dance Ballroom Concert. Organized numerically, not topically. Or chronologically. I have no explanation as to why this worked better for me. 

Design, print, and cut 500 tickets.
Design and print 350 programs.
Burn 45 performance DVDs.
Teach 24 mostly willing and slightly experienced teenagers everything from the Cha Cha to the Quickstep.
Set lights for 21 dance numbers.
Choose music for 17 dance numbers.
Costume for 17 dance numbers. (And by "costume" I mean everything from sewing skirts for the team to choosing and purchasing clothing and accessories. On a teacher's budget.)
Choreograph 15.5 dance numbers for mostly willing, almost willing, inexperienced, and slightly experienced teenagers. Then teach said choreography to said teenagers.
Cut and edit music for 15 dance numbers.
Teach 14 almost willing and rather inexperienced teenagers the basics of social dance.
Invite 4 guest dance numbers to perform to add variety (and help boost ticket sales - marketing!).
Design 2 separate posters for display.
Video record 2 separate performances.
And...keep 1 husband happy throughout the process!
(Or maybe it's have 1 husband keeping Kid One happy throughout the process...!)

I know. Doesn't it just make your head want to spin around until it spins clean off?

This doesn't even take into account all the hours Kid One puts into running extra rehearsals. And being in charge of the Dance Department at the High School. And writing tickets to students parked in the teacher parking lot.

(Did I mention she is only 24? Yeah... I have no idea what I was doing at 24. It certainly wasn't writing tickets to students parked in the teacher parking lot.) 

Anyway, now I have more pics to share. Yay! More pictures! 

Here are some photos from the rehearsal I visited. I took them.
Kid One teaching the boys about...lines. And holds.


Kid One teaching the girls about....lines. It's very important. See them experimenting with head position?


My kicks. I have no idea how they made it into this post. 


Working it out together!


: ) 
No caption here. Just a smile. 
Because this makes me smile. 
: )


The girls. Looking all fierce and stuff. Like Kid One. She's a good teacher.


And here are some photos from the concert! A Mom took them. With a lens I envy.
Recognize these fierce girls? 
Rockin' the Tango in skirts Kid One made. 
She gets her sewing genes from her mother....in-law. 


The Lindy. In leos she designed.


Rumba Doble. In dresses she altered by cutting a sleeve here and adding a ruffle there.


A close-up of above dress. And a really cool pose.


A shot from the opener.


I have no idea what this is from. But I like the kid at the front so it stays.


Ta-Da! 
Final pose of the concert. 

Impressive, isn't it? And all because of Kid One

Phew! After all her work I need a nap. 

Bragging session over.

PS. Did I mention that Kid One also puts together a Winter Concert and takes her team to at least two competitions each year?

Okay, bragging session really over...

: )


7 comments:

  1. wow!! I am SO impressed! You definitely have a right to brag! I was wondering what all she was up to out there! I am so impressed at all the concert pics--it's so fun to see a final product, knowing all the work that went into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of her too and am glad you "bragged" about her because I do not get to hear very much about her! She is wonderful and what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You have to be fierce to pull all that off! I'm very impressed, and glad to hear/see what she is up to. Saying she is "coaching a high school ballroom dance team" doesn't tell the whole story like pictures do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed that she has time to write tickets with all of that going on. :-)

    Actually I'm especially impressed that she worked out the writing tickets into creating "more dance budget". She is a VERY smart girl! (And obviously has a LOT more energy than I!)

    Yay for Shayla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very impressive, Shayla! I love how the pictures really show all that goes into putting together her shows. Quite impressive that she does the costumes, too! I know how much work that is from doing it myself for a ballet. Love the pictures! It's fun having daughters who dance, I love watching mine rehearse, too! We hope you do a little more bragging so we can keep seeing what your girls are accomplishing! They're all amazing! (just like their mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, how I love Kid One and her great supporting-behind-the-scenes husband! She is doing remarkable things and I am so glad you got to document some of it, and that you shared it with your blog groupies. Blog on, Sista!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is SOSOSOSOSOSO Cool...my sister in law is a dance teacher in Idaho and has her own big studio and travels and dance teams and all that and I got to go help one time with her spring show, and saw all the behind the scenes "stuff" going on and wondered how do they do it, there aren't enough hours to accomplish all that. YOU SHOULD BRAG! the entire thing is impressive, she needs to get the moms engaged in helping her sew, and I laughed at the writing tickets to the kids in the teachers lot, poor girl!!!! I am sure you are happy with all the hours (money) put into those dance lessons paid off big time....those kids will treasure their moments in the spotlight all because you drove a little girl (s) to dance class...yeah for shayla yeah for you. I know she is still "coming down" from this one! Awesome girls!!! xo glor

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...