Monday, November 14, 2011

Challenge Over! And Things I Like - Branson Edition

Victory!!

I did in fact fit in my smallest jeans on the last day of my Branson trip. And I wore them for the long car ride home. Instead of the Just-In-Case-Yoga-Pants I packed for Day 6.

I did not take a pic of the Day 6 jeans. It was far too early in the morning for pics. But I do have this one to share...

Day 5 - The New "Because I Don't Have Six Pairs of Jeans" Jeans. Again


Confession: I paid attention to angles when taking all these jeans pics. 
My legs are not that thin. Or that long. 
I like this kind of magic.

And hopefully you will not have to see a pic of me and my jeans till next year. When I do the Branson thing all over again.

Now I'll wrap it all up with this.

Things I Like - Branson, Missouri Edition
In no order at all.

1. A week with my dad. And my sister. And my other sister. This could only be made better by having my other other sister there. We miss her when she's not.

2. Hills. You can't go anywhere in Branson without experiencing a hill. And these are the kinds of hills that make your bum and quads buuurrrrrn when you run them. They make the hills around my house feel like...not hills at all. I love them! Not to mention they are breathtaking. To look at. And to run.

3. The talent! I have never seen so much talent in one week. At least since the last time I spent a week in Branson. The performers are exceptional instrumentalists, vocalists, and entertainers. And it's clear they love what they do. I love what they do, too.

4. The work ethic. *Sings* "They work ha-ard for the money, duh, dun, duh, dun. So ha-ard for the money, duh, dun, duh, dun. They work ha-ard for the money so you better treat them right. Duh, dun, duh, dun."

From the restaurants to the merchants, to the ticket booths, to the stages, to the backstages, and everywhere in between, the people of Branson are hard, hard workers. And don't think for a minute that those performers live glamorous lives. Most of them work us under the table. I am not making this up. They don't look so seamless on stage "just because". And they can't go anywhere without getting attention. No ugly days at the grocery store for them!

5. Loyalty to God, Family, Country. In that order. Mentioned in nearly every show. On a scale of one to ten it is a ten refreshing.

6. The Amish store. Yes, this is my sad, sad weakness while I am there. Especially the freshly ground Honey Roasted Peanut Butter. And the licorice. And the jams. And the spices. And Bertha's Cashew Crunch. And the...and the...and the...  The list is lengthy!

7. Knowing the shortcuts around town. This isn't really so much about Branson as it is about me. ; )

8. Veterans. We always make this trip during Veteran's Week. I love this part. Every show takes a moment or two to recognize those who have valiantly fought for our freedoms. It is humbling and brings tears to my eyes every time. I feel honored to be in their presence. Now if our Government would just stop taking away the rights they have fought to preserve.

9. The Porter's!! Honestly. I fell in love with this family! They came at their mother's request. On her dime. A chance for all the kids and their spouses to get together and reconnect. Most of them were not too far from my own age and came with a bit of skepticism. They left with a bit of love. It was a privilege to spend the week with them and watch the Matriarch beam endlessly, no matter how tired she was. Every family should consider this for their reunion. And when you do, contact me. My dad plans a better Branson trip than anyone!

10. Me. That sounds self-centered, I know. But let me explain. I always come home from this trip a better person, enriched by those who I have met, inspired and moved by their life stories, and grateful for their quiet contributions to my soul. And the creative energy that exists in that town is remarkable. In short, I love what Branson does for me.

So, there you have it. The reasons why I leave my home and family to eat too much, sleep too little, and stimulate my senses to the point of being numb, knowing the entire time it will be worth every second of it.

I can't wait for next year! Especially now that I know my "Anti-Expansion Plan" actually works! : )

And one last parting shot.

The Porter Family + 2
(Because by the end of the week we felt like family. This trip just does that to you.)





3 comments:

  1. Love all your posts! And love hanging with you each year in Branson!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got a chance to check out your blog ... it's great! We had a great time and are so glad to know you and your awesome family! I also left Branson with a totally different feeling about the town than I anticipated. The love of family, God and country are palpable there and I can't wait to go back and bring my mom. I will definitely be contacting your dad when we are ready to go, and hopefully get to see you and your sisters again. I don't know if I mentioned it to you, but my maiden name is also Christensen, so you are really part of my family. So glad we got to get a photo with you and your sister! Keep in touch as I look forward to a continued friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesli - It's always AWESOME! I'm so glad we get to do this together. : )

    Treesa - It was such a JOY getting to know you! I do hope that you will come again and that I will get to be there with you. We will have to plan some shopping time. : ) I will definitely keep in touch and hope you will do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...