Tuesday, June 12, 2012

And Summer Begins - Girl's Camp


You should know that I spent last week at Girl's Camp.
A five-day FunFest involving camp songs, camp food, camp fires, and camp-ing. In cabins.
Also involving high energy, high emotions, high drama, high stress, and high maintenance.
Also involving dust, dirt, heat, humidity, ticks, mice, and snakes.
And spiders the size of small hamsters.

Last year I wrote about the spiders here:

http://pointshootspeak.blogspot.com/2011/06/spider-proof.html

But this year Girl's Camp was surprisingly different from any other year. Ever.

For starters, the weather was...Awesome.
Last year it was hot enough to brand your heel on the sidewalk.
This year it was not.
Instead it was sunny and slightly breezy, with temperatures in the low 80s.
Perfectly Pleasant.
Except for that one night I couldn't sleep because I was...too cold.
Seriously. That happened.

And there was high energy.
But there was not high drama.
Or high stress.
Or high maintenance.
As for high emotions? Well, this is pretty much relative when it comes to teenage girls.
But I will be the first to unemotionally admit that the high emotions were relatively low.
Also Awesome.

But here is the most Awesome part of all.
I did not see even one spider the size of a small hamster.
In fact, I did not see even one large-ish spider.
Till the last night. It was outside.
And I only saw one medium-ish spider.
Also on the last night. It was inside.

The outside spider got to live.

The tick count was low. The mice count was high.
And there were moths.
I learned that some girls feel the same about moths as I do about spiders.
And they scream about it.
So now I have a new favorite Reason-Not-To-Be-Afraid-of-a-Moth quote...

"It's a moth! What's it going to do? Flutter??"

I did not make this up. But I really, really appreciate my friend who did.
Because at 1:00am it made me giggle. For a really long time.

And now a handful of pics for your enjoyment.


Our fearless leader.
Truly. Fearless.
Pretty sure the picture says it all.



Another fearless leader. Also Truly Fearless.
She brought us donuts between the 4:30am sunrise devotional and breakfast prep being complete.
I ate three breakfasts that morning.
And the next.
And the next.
Oy.




There was a fun relay race with these "waterskis".


When they work it goes like this:


When they don't it goes like this:

Fearless Leaders on the ground!

And here is a funny thing I learned about taking pictures of girls. 
If everyone is all dressed up and asked to pose there is much moaning and groaning. 
But slather them in shaving cream and start shooting and here is what happens...

It starts small...



And grows...



And grows...



And grows...



And grows...



Girls just kept running to be in a picture. Until no one within running distance was left.
Truly irresistable fun!

All in all, this year Girl's Camp was pretty much everything you ever want Girl's Camp to be.
And pretty much nothing of what you don't ever want Girl's Camp to be.

There was
Great Cooperation,
Great Unity,
Great Spirit,
Great Fun,
And really Great Girls...
Who on a scale of 1 to 10, I love far more than an 11.
Or 111.
And they are the reason I can hardly wait to go again!

Now on to this week's adventure...
Babysitting Kid Two's Kid One for five days.
So she can go to Girl's Camp.
Could it get any better?

4 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I hope the leaders and girls in the photos get to read/see it. And I am glad you had such a great 5 days! They were all fortunate to have you along and to follow up with your "capturing" blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I'm so glad everything went so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Kamian! An awesome camp post! Yay for fun memories and fun pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, Kamian! An awesome camp post! Yay for fun memories and fun pictures :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...