Monday, June 4, 2012

Passing the Baton

For those of you who read the My PR post, this is my after-race report. Because I know you're dying to know.

1. The weather was amazing! Cool, sunny, and slightly breezy. Absolutely perfect running conditions!
2. It was fast running for most people.
3. Not for me.
4. This is okay. I didn't plan for it to be.
5. I got from this race exactly what I needed most.

If you didn't read the My PR post then you should know that I ran each mile dedicated in gratitude to those who have been beside me through some of the toughest times of my life. And this is what I found:


Gratitude begets gratitude.


This is how it went.
1. Instead of a race day mantra on the top of my hand I wrote 13 names on the inside of my forearm.
2. I began each mile with thoughts of that person; how they have served, and how they have loved.
3. I ended each mile with a very full heart. Then a new name stepped in while the other hung back.


A metaphorical passing of the baton.


The beginning and end of each mile was emotional. And profound.
The in between of each mile was serene. And meaningful.
And I quickly learned that I needed many more miles.
Because there have been so many more exchanges of the baton.

This was my tenth half marathon, and of all races, my favorite.
Not because of what I was able to do, but because of remembering that I cannot do it alone.
Nor do I have to.

Bonus: I got to run the entire race...with my hair down. : )

Richly blessed. And deeply grateful.










7 comments:

  1. You are amazing, and I think that says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And wonderful!, to add to Marilee's comment. And have fun at camp. You are a blessing to those great young women!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot express how deeply I love this post. You are amazing and strong and I have no doubt there are enormously good things ready to unfold for you. Today. Tomorrow. For each new beautiful day. Sending love and hugs!

    And I'll cheer you on as you train for your marathon. That *is* what you meant by more miles, right? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! I love this post! What a great, meaningful way to run! I so admire you :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness Kamian! I absolutely LOVE that idea! I love your thoughtfulness. You are truly an inspiration to all! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Then this is my favorite race too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why am I just reading this NOW? I could of used this on my arms during one "MARATHON" of a week at CAMP! It was a good week--an oh so good week, but I did not get to spend as near as much time with you! You did produce one night of hilarious, fulfilling and delightful entertainment with your Leader Skit! I had to change my WET PANTS after the skit concluded!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...