Thursday, March 3, 2011

Morning Blur

I've been reading a ton about how to be good at taking pictures. And when I say a ton I mean a ton. Because it weighs that much. In my head.

Here's what I've learned. Bad eyesight + morning = morning blur. This is handy when you don't want to see the clock, or the dog, or the laundry early in the day. But it can be overwhelming with half a million photo terms floating.         just.          beyond.           your.            reach.

The other morning I woke up and saw morning blur in the blankets scrunched up next to my face. And then I saw morning blur in the crammed bookshelves a few feet away. And then I saw.....a perfectly focused little patch of comforter pattern somewhere in between the two. What?!?! I looked at the bookshelves. Now back to the clear patch. Now back to the blanket. Now back to the clear patch...

And then I saw them.

Words. Just words. Words like aperture, focal distance, depth-of-field, and exposure value. Words. Floating effortlessly in little circles round my head. Like chirpy cartoon birds when you've been been knocked out cold.

You should know those cartoon birds don't chirp. They taunt. I'm just sayin'.

Illustrative photos below. And proof that I haven't completely abandoned these wedding pics to blog.




5 comments:

  1. Yeah especially when you combine the two together. I'm so glad you blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool!! I love it! I'm just starting to wrap my head around the word aperture. Now that I kind of know what it is, how to make my camera DO it is another story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am someday going to learn how to get that "blur" effect with photos! Today, I am just going to get through Jessie's birthday and that solo festival!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, this one time I made a really nice comment on your blog and then it didn't post. :/ It said something like this, "I really love your photographs. Not as much as I love you but close. These are so great! I can't wait to see the rest." Okay, bye!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use a simple little digital, so I haven't studied the technical photography stuff. I was told that it is wise to take a photography class for the nicer cameras. I wonder about the people who wrote the little notes. Did anyone I know get married? The angle of the corsages makes the viewer's eyes follow. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...