Thursday, March 24, 2011

SoCal - 13 Steps to Awesome!

And by awesome, I mean...

awe-some
[aw-suh m] - adj.
    1. inspiring awe
    2. showing or characterized by awe

One day my best traveling Gal Pal and I took a day trip to Torrey Pines State Park.
 To get a lesson in awe-some. 
If you've never been there, you should go. 
It's quiet, and clean, and a stunning mix of ocean, beach and sky. 
And hilly land.

I took pictures. They don't do it justice. Not even close. 
But I tried. So that you could have a lesson in awe-some, too. 

13 Steps to Awe-some

1. Park really far away from where this picture was taken. Walk along the beach toward the mountainside. Remember that the term "mountain" is very relative.


2. Walk up the hill and find the trailhead of your choosing. 
There are many choices. And all of them are good! 
What could be better than a place with all good choices? 
Awe-some already!


 3. Admire the interesting landscape and fun flora.


I like flora.


And Flora. 
(Flora is a friend of mine. She does not look anything like these pics. But I like her.)


4. Breathe in the spectacular and awe-some panoramic views! 


5. Notice the cloud cover coming in. And be glad you brought a sweater.


6. Venture down to the beach and snap some cool shots.  





(Look at the couple in the left of that photo. Aren't they just about awe-some?)

7. Play in the soft and yummy sand.


(not my feet)


8. People watch.


  
9. Wait for the clouds to break and wish for a sunset.


10. Look more closely and see...


...DOLPHINS!!!


(Seriously. Look back. It was there already. A little tiny fin. Now big.
Not the same fin.)


Ok. So these aren't great pics of dolphins, but still....


 ...DOLPHINS!!


I didn't even know I should wish for dolphins!


Look below! Two in one pic!!
If you count fins. I count fins.

This is all kinds of AWE-SOME!


Okay, I know. Enough dolphin pictures, already. 
But I was just so excited about them!

(I'm a Midwestern girl. I don't get out much.)

11. Look to the left...

to the right...


and straight ahead.

12. And wait a little longer.





(waiting)





(still waiting)





(and waiting)





For this...


and this...


and this.


So Awe-Some!


13. Be sure not to miss one last chance to look back before leaving.


And that my friends, is exactly how you do awe-some.

End of lesson.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!! I would give a leg for that experience!! Why didn't I have a nice camera when we were honeymooning at Cocoa Beach & Orlando!? I hope to see dolphins one day! You're right...there aren't many of those in Kansas! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awe-some post! I am so glad your trip was so satisfying, 'cause now I'm sure it is back to business. But you have an awe-some life and find awe-someness all around wherever you are! I like that awe-some part of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience with you. Dolphins!!! Your photos were amazing! A few of my favs--- the first cactus, the strata in the rocks and sunsets. The last sunset photo took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely awesome. I think I need a field trip to complete the lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it definitely was a lesson in awesome. How do you define a word without using its root? I guess in this case one just can't. Loved, LOVED the pics. Total awesomeness. Well worth having to wait a day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures! How fun. Love the dolphins, the sunset, and "not my feet". (haha)! You've got some serious photography skills!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...